Benedictus

Today is the last day of Pope Benedictus XVI as the head of the Roman Catholic Church.

I always wondered how certain events are viewed and experienced by people involved in that event – like what Queen Beatrix’s abdication means to the Dutch people, or how the Americans view the inauguration of President Obama. Therefore I thought I would like to share my thoughts and feelings about the Pope – just as someone, who lives in a country with strong Chirstian roots, regardless whether I am a practicing believer or not, or Chatolic or not.

Just by meantioning this topic and writing about it it’s clear that the abdication of the Pope does matter in Hungary and in the everyday life of an ordinary Hungarian. I remember when Pope Ioannes Paulus II passed away in 2005. I was watching a movie on the television with my mother, when suddenly the movie was interrupted by the news that the Pope just passed away. The movie wasn’t continued, further informations on the Pope, news and other things were broadcasted all night. I was shocked by the Pope’s death, and now I was shocked by the abdication of Benedictus XVI as well.

I think that the abdication – be problematic or not, I don’t know –, is surely a respectable act. When you have so huge power and when you have the strong belief that you are supported or even chosen by Jesus Christ and God – and I’m sure that the Pope does believe this –, then it’s a really hard decision to step down. So, regardless of my personal opinion about the abdication itself, I respect the Pope because the fact that he had enough will and courage to leave the throne.

by Alla

Comments

Popular Posts