Dramas and families – Beyond Far, Far Away II

Though it is often said that one of the main reasons why Korean dramas can be successful in other Asian countries is the depiction of the traditional Confucian family and society, I’ve always found this argument unreasonable.

Recently I’ve been watching two Taiwanese dramas, Miss Rose and Substitute Princess. Neither of them costume dramas, nor the storyline is very original – we can say that they are average television series, entertaining, but nothing more. However, I think that both of these dramas – and other Taiwanese dramas I watched as well, such as Smiling Pasta, Ti Amo Chocolate, etc. – have a very strong point: the depiction of a real family. The emphasis is on ’real’.

In these series the family is maybe the most important factor in the main role’s life, and what makes the family real and vivid is the dual emotions and strong feelings. Sometimes the main character argues with the parents, sometimes gets into a fight with the siblings – but it’s the same as in everbody’s life, isn’t it? One of my favourite scenes in Miss Rose is when the lead character, Luo Si-yi kids with her sister – they tease each other a little, but their teasing is somehow realistic, not factitious as the similar scenes in the Korean dramas, and you can feel the sisterly bond between Luo Si-yi and her sister. When I saw these scenes, I always thought that „wow, they are like me and my sister, we’re always doing the same”. I have never ever felt the same in relation with a Korean drama.

Parents-children relationship is the same. Taiwanese drama characters sometimes tease or kid with their parents, just as me and my parents. Would this be disrespectful? I think no. In my opinion you can kid with your parents and respect them at the same time. I will go further. Saying to your parents that „I wouldn’t like to do this” or „I think you are wrong” is not a disrespectful or non-filial act. The way you say is very important – you can say it rude, yes, but if you say it polite and explain why you think it’s wrong, you don’t violate any Confucian rules. Laying your head and saying „yes” without objection to every plan or decision of your parents is not filial duty, it’s servility. This latter is what I find problematic in Korean dramas: in most of the cases due to the rich chaebol son’s blind obedience the family relationships seem really cold or even fake. On the contrary, the family atmosphere in the Taiwanese dramas is warm and lifelike.

I don’t say that there are no exceptions. Of course they do exist, for example in True Colours of Kangcheol (강철본) – the fighting scenes of the king and the queen were the best parts. By the way, this drama, True Colours is really fun, I recommend you. And more important, this whole post is about how dramas depict the real life, not the real life itself.

by Alla

Comments

Popular Posts