Visual orgy



I would like to write a meaningful and beautiful introduction, but I can’t. Therefore to put it simply, here are three of the visually most beautiful movies I have ever seen – and the interesting plots and great actors and actresses are just extras. Oh, and the soundtracks… they would deserve a whole, separated article.

The Fall (2006)


Tarsem Singh. He is a visual genius. A master. He directed several commercials (such as the famous Pepsi: We Will Rock You film) and music videos too, the most well-known is probably Losing My Religion for R.E.M. As a movie director, he made Mirror, mirror and The Immortals, The Cell – and The Fall as well. Such a pity, that his best work is not as popular as the former three. The Fall is an independent movie, and according to Tarsem, CGI and other computer tricks weren’t used at all in the movie. Sometimes I simply just can’t believe that  what I see is reality and there are such beautiful places in the world – but they do exist.
            As for the plot, it’s about a paralyzed stuntman and a little girl. The two meet in a hospital, and they start building up a story together, basing upon characters and personalities from their real world. The events in their tale and the reality interact with each other and help the stuntman to regain his faith and persistence.

The Banquet (2006) /


Chinese Hamlet. I have to admit, I do not like Hamlet and I find the Shakespeare-version… hm, strange. Fortunately the movie is a loose adaptation, and instead of the late monarch’s ghost we have the ambition of the Empress, who was made the main heroine, and the conscience and complicated love life of her stepson, the Crown Prince. I couldn’t hate any of them, nor the uncle-Emperor.
            The movie operates with traditional Chinese martial arts, music and breathtaking visuals. Director Feng Xiaogang plays with the colours, especially with red, the Empress’ colour and with dancing. The cast includes Zhang Ziyi, Zhou Xun and Daniel Wu – the greatest names in Chinese movie industry.

Painted Skin: The Resurrecition (2012) / II



I already loved Painted Skin I, and I was really happy when I heard about the second part. However, the story of the first movie wasn’t continued (actually, it couldn’t be), only the cast is the same – with Zhao Wei, Chen Kun and Zhou Xun in the main roles. It is about love – what is true love, can beauty defeat personality and it’s a little about humanity – why it is good to be a human.
            Again, what can I say? The costumes were beautiful and, in my opinion, a little kimono-like, since the costume designer was a Japanese. CGI and other effects were perfectly used and not over-used, as in some cases of Chinese movies. When in the introduction part the awakening of the demon and later the arrival of Princess Jing was shown, I felt like crying. The contrast of the desert, the black dress and golden armour is amazing.

by Alla

Comments

Popular Posts