The AKB48-effect


I don’t remember which was my first track with them, but I clearly remember my first reaction: „ez meg mi?” (What is this?). And this is how I met AKB48.

I am not a big j-pop fan, my music palette contains only a few Japanese tracks, mostly from KAT-TUN because of Cecile, and from Koda Kumi, and rarely I listen some enchanted solo musician. And then there is the AKB48-section.

Why I like them? In fact I don’t know the answer myself. Their music is nothing else but mass-producted pop, the quality is fluctuating. But their image is changeable, which is a good point in my opinion. Without too much risk they can try various concepts, styles and sounds – but at the same time, they can maintain their Japanese identity with their purely beautiful music videos like Kodoku na Hoshizora and Sakura no shiori (the last one is my personal favourite, aside from their kimonos the music is harmonious and magnificent). And don’t forget to mention the Chinese background of Flying Get – I felt like crying when I first watched the video. Why other pop groups, especially k-pop bands can’t make a music video with a similar concept? Why do they have to always run after a „modern, trendy and stylish” concept? Before Maeda Atsuko graduated, I would have say that she is the reason why I love AKB48 – I saw her dramas, and somehow became fond of her. But she left the group, and I still listen them. Maybe because I realized that no matter what they do (and here I mean the traditional-national concepts with kimonos, qipaos and etc.), the whole thing is still cool and negotiable.


Their last single, Uza became the no.1 after the first listening. I like the dark concept of the music video, the upbeat and the melody of the track. So today I decided that today I will have an Uza-day! Ask Cecile what does it mean…

by Alla

Comments

Popular Posts