Han Geng, Super Junior and the MTV EMA



After this article the level of my non-existing popularity probably will go down to Mariana Trench and I will be cursed by ELFs, but I would like to share my opinion on the MTV EMA, Super Junior, Jolin Tsai and Han Geng.

To begin from the start, Super Junior, Jolin Tsai, Exile, Han Geng were nominated to MTV EMA in the category of Asian Act. It is not a secret that Han Geng won. And honestly, I am satisfied with this result. I have to admit that I did vote and my choice was Jolin Tsai, but despite this I do not feel any disappointment over the victory of Han Geng. Why?

First of all, I really appreciate and esteem Han Geng’s contributions to the spread and revive of Chinese culture. One of my greatest sadness is when I see that any country – especially China, Korea and Japan, which have so ancient and rich culture – tries to drop its own traditions and culture to adopt the so called „modern Western” style. I know, every singer and idol wants worldwide fame, and because of this they need a „global concept” or a style that can be loved by everybody from the United States and Chile to Russia, Thailand and Egypt. But still, I belive they should never forget and give up their roots. That’s why I do love and respect singers and artists like Han Geng, Wang Leehom, Jay Chou, Big Bang (with their somehow Korean concept to Fantastic Baby) and even AKB48 with their kimono-MVs.

Furthermore Han Geng has his own style. But Super Junior? Bonamana, Mr. Simple, A-Cha and Sexy, Free, Single seem similar to me. Of course, they are catchy, rythmic and represent a strong man-feeling and some aggressivity. But the base is just the same. On the contrary Han Geng can change, try out different music genres and styles from pop (like Empress / 女皇) to pop mixed with heavy rock feel (Wild cursive / 狂草) and ballad (Betrayal of the Soul / 背叛灵魂). Most of his songs are just not my style – but I still listen them, because they can touch a person’s heart. 99% of Super Junior’s MVs are all the same – it’s not the fault of the group, but the entertainment company. You know, all of SM’s videos are based on the same concept: dance cuts, individual cuts, dance cuts, crystal-background and usually black-white dress changing, etc. I call them sablonvideoklip (literally ’template music video’), which describe the feeling when you have watched three action movies and you can write the script to the fourth one. And Han Geng? You know, when I first saw the music video of Wild Cursive, I said „ohhh” – so in other words I couldn’t say anything. Because I felt that I found what I was looking for. That’s art. Pure art.

 
And lastly, I think it is a good thing to show support to mandopop (and kantopop as well). Not the Korean-mandopop, as it would be in the case of EXO-M, Super Junior-M and other k-pop inspired Chinese idol groups. But original – or at least more original and more „Chinese” – mandopop.

by Alla

Comments

Popular Posts